Check here for our most frequently asked questions.
Ohio residents may apply for a library card in person or online. Once received, the card number can be used immediately to access digital materials and reserve items. Your physical card will be mailed to you. Stop in one of our 23 locations to activate it.
- Books: 21 days
- Magazines and other print materials: 7 days
- Fiction movies: 7 days
- Nonfiction movies: 14 days
- Audiobooks: 21 days
- Music: 14 days
- Video games: 7 days
Borrowing limits (during pandemic):
- Books, magazines and other print materials: 100 items combined
- Movies: 30 items
- Audiobooks and music: 60 items combined
- Video games: 4 items
Fines on materials: CML no longer charges fines for overdue materials, but there are still charges for lost or damaged materials.
You can pay fees the following ways:
- At any library location by cash, check, credit or debit card
- Online with a major credit or debit card: go to My Account and have your library card number and PIN handy
- By mail (please allow additional time): send check with library card number noted to: Columbus Metropolitan Library, Attention: Circulation, 96 S. Grant Ave., Columbus, OH 43215
Please visit any library location or Contact Us.
Library Card PINs are 4 digits long. The PIN defaults to the last 4 numbers of the phone number associated with your account. You may have also opted to reset your PIN to a 4-digit number of your choosing. If you have registered for an account through our website, you can use the Forgot your PIN? link to be emailed a link to reset it.
Staff at any location can update your contact information when you show your picture ID. Contact Us if your library card number is available.
Due to pandemic precautions, all meeting and study rooms are unavailable for public booking.
Send Us A Message.
We typically reply within 48 hours.