COLUMBUS—Columbus Metropolitan Library (CML) joins thousands of parents, teachers and administrators throughout Franklin County in wishing every third grade student success on their upcoming Ohio Achievement Assessment (OAA). All 850 CML staff members have signed the attached ‘good luck card’ to encourage our community’s young people to do well on their test. The card has been shared with principals and third grade teachers throughout the 10 public school districts CML serves.
Testing dates for the 10 public school districts are:
- Reynoldsburg City Schools – April 21
- Whitehall City Schools – April 21
- Hilliard City Schools – April 22
- Canal Winchester Local Schools – April 23
- Groveport Madison Local Schools – May 5
- Gahanna-Jefferson Public Schools – April 28
- Dublin City Schools – April 29
- Hamilton Local Schools – April 29
- New Albany-Plain Local Schools – April 29
- Columbus City Schools – May 7
- Thousands of central Ohio third graders did not pass their mandatory reading proficiency tests last October. If these same students do not pass the proficiency test beginning this week, they may be required, under Ohio’s Third Grade Reading Guarantee, to repeat third grade.
CML encourages students to participate in CML’s Reading Buddies program to prepare for the upcoming OAA. The Reading Buddies program pairs students with CML staff members, CML VolunTeens and vetted community volunteers for 15 minutes of one-on-one reading practice. The program focuses heavily on vocabulary and reading comprehension skills. Additionally, CML’s new Third Grade Reading page provides parents with resources – such as practice reading tests, sample questions, favorite books for third graders and more – designed to help them prepare their children for success.
CML’s Reading Buddies program is free and available at Main Library and all 20 branches. Hours vary by location. Interested students and families can stop in any CML library location and find the Reading Buddies station in the children’s area.
Locations and hours:
- Driving Park – Monday & Wednesday from 5-5:45 p.m.
- Dublin – Monday & Thursday from 4-5 p.m.
- Franklinton – Monday & Wednesday from 4-5 p.m.
- Gahanna – Tuesday & Friday from 4-5 p.m.
- Hilliard – Tuesday from 5-6 p.m. & Friday from 3:30-5:30 p.m.
- Hilltop – Monday & Thursday from 4-5 p.m.
- Karl Road – Monday & Tuesday from 5-6 p.m.
- Linden – Monday & Wednesday from 5-6 p.m.
- Livingston – Tuesday & Thursday from 4:30-5:30 p.m.
- Main Library – Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday from 4:30-6 p.m.
- Martin Luther King – Tuesday & Thursday from 4:30-5:30 p.m.
- New Albany – Tuesday & Wednesday from 4-5 p.m.
- Northern Lights – Wednesday & Thursday from 4-5 p.m.
- Northside – Monday & Tuesday from 4:30-5:30 p.m.
- Parsons – Monday & Thursday from 5-6 p.m.
- Reynoldsburg – Monday & Wednesday from 5-6 p.m.
- Shepard – Monday & Thursday from 5-6 p.m.
- South High – Monday & Thursday from 5-6 p.m.
- Southeast – Tuesday from 4-5 p.m. & Wednesday from 5:30-6:30 p.m.
- Whetstone – Tuesday & Wednesday from 4-5 p.m.
- Whitehall – Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday from 4-5 p.m.
Adults interested in becoming a Reading Buddies volunteer can complete an online volunteer application by clicking here.
Columbus Metropolitan Library has served the people of Franklin County, Ohio since 1873. With its Main Library and 22 branches, CML is well known for signature services and programs like Homework Help Centers, Reading Buddies, Summer Reading Club and Ready for Kindergarten. The library’s Strategic Plan supports the vision of “a thriving community where wisdom prevails,” which positions CML to respond to areas of urgent need: kids unprepared for kindergarten, third grade reading proficiency, high school graduation, college readiness and employment resources.
CML was named a 2011 National Medal Winner by the Institute for Museum and Library Services for work in community service, the highest honor for libraries and museums. Columbus Metropolitan Library has been rated a 5-Star Library by Library Journal for seven of the eight years the magazine has published its industry ratings.