Columbus Metropolitan Library (CML) meeting rooms may be used by both non-profit and for-profit organizations free of charge if the meeting occurs during the Library's normal hours of operation and is not a private event. Applicable fees are established through the Fees for Library Materials and Services policy.
Use of CML meeting rooms for financial gain is prohibited. This includes the selling of goods and/or services, fundraising, or accepting donations; except as provided in the Private Events and Exhibits policies.
Entrance fees/admission charges are acceptable only to cover the costs of the program (speaker fees, meals, handouts, etc.). Imposing entrance fees/admission charges other than to cover program overhead (i.e. for profit) is strictly prohibited.
Meeting rooms may not be reserved for a single individual.
No personal events such as birthday parties, showers, receptions, etc. may be held in meeting rooms.
Alcohol is prohibited in all CML locations, except as provided in the Private Events policy.
A library card is required for all meeting room reservations. Cardholders with an excess of $100.00 in fines/fees will be denied use of the meeting room. The cardholder must be at least 18 years of age to reserve a meeting room. An adult (18 years or older) must be present during any use of CML meeting rooms.
- The person requesting use of the room must accept the terms of CML's Meeting Rooms policy and take responsibility to see that all conditions of use are followed. Reservation twenty-four (24) hours in advance is preferred.
- CML reserves the right to cancel or change any meeting room reservation with twenty-four (24) hours' notice if circumstances at CML so demand. CML reserves the right to cancel meeting room reservations with less than twenty-four (24) hours' notice due to acts of nature or situations warranting an emergency closing of a CML facility.
- Customers can reserve meeting rooms up to four (4) months in advance. A customer is limited to five (5) reservations per month.
- Cancellations should be made as soon as possible to allow others to use the rooms. If others are requesting the room, CML reserves the right to cancel a meeting room reservation if the meeting's attendees have not arrived within the first half hour after the reservation start time.
- Notices and signs posted in the library announcing the meeting or directing attendees to the room must first be approved by a library manager/supervisor at the location. Notices and advertisements about the meeting must not imply CML sponsorship or endorsement of the group's purpose or activities unless a formal partnership is in place.
- Prepared food and non-alcoholic beverages are allowed in meeting rooms. Kitchenettes with refrigerators and sinks are available at select locations, but no serving utensils or other catering equipment is provided, and food preparation must take place off-site. Organizations may use a caterer of their choice or bring their own food/beverages. All catering arrangements are the responsibility of the organization using the room.
- Most meeting rooms come equipped with projectors, screens and other audio visual equipment. Library staff are available to assist with use of this equipment upon request, and available equipment for each room is detailed within the library's online meeting room reservation program. Other supplies such as dry-erase markers and erasers can be checked out with a library card from library staff at the location. These supplies must be returned at the conclusion of the meeting to avoid being charged for their replacement.
- Requests to hold meetings or events in Main Library's Reading Room are considered under the Private Events policy.
- Tables and chairs are available for meeting use. Set-up and take-down of the chairs and tables is the responsibility of the organization using the room except for meetings taking place in Main Library's Auditorium. The organization is expected to leave the room in the same condition that it was in before the meeting. Library staff should be notified of any damages or the need for trash removal.
- Meetings held in CML meeting rooms must not disturb normal library operations. CML reserves the right to stop meetings that are disruptive to normal library operations.
- CML reserves the right to reject any meeting room request, or cancel any reservation, if it is determined that the organization (or the cardholder making the reservation) has abused its past privileges in using the meeting rooms in any way as determined by CML. This includes, but is not limited to, any violation of CML's Meeting Rooms policy.
- The acceptance of the terms of CML's Meeting Rooms policy (electronically or in person) assigns responsibility for loss or damages to the room and loss or damage to any CML property or equipment used during the meeting to the cardholder submitting the application and accepting the terms.
- Meeting rooms are available to customers within the days and times listed below. Any meetings occurring after the library closes must be scheduled to begin 30 minutes before closing. Meeting attendees who arrive after the library closes will be denied entry.
- Monday - Thursday: 7:30 a.m. – 10:00 p.m.
- Friday and Saturday: 7:30 a.m. – 8:00 p.m.
- Sunday: 1:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Meeting organizers will be charged a fee for each hour, or portion thereof, of the meeting that takes place outside of the location's hours of operation, with the exception of morning meetings taking place at Main Library prior to opening. Charges will be made in increments of 30 minutes in accordance with the Fees for Library Materials and Services policy.
- Security will be provided by CML for all off–hours meetings. Off–hours meetings must be scheduled and paid for in full (if applicable) two weeks in advance in order to provide time to schedule security coverage. CML reserves the right to waive charges for Columbus Metropolitan Library Foundation, Friends of the Columbus Metropolitan Library and other community organizations and partners.
- CML reserves the right to have staff attend meetings and other events in library meeting room facilities.